Virtualization is a proven software technology allowing the creation of a virtual (rather than actual) version of a resource such as a desktop or server. This makes it possible to run multiple operating systems and applications on the same server at the same time, transforming the IT landscape and the way technology is utilized.
VIrtualization offers the following benefits to an IT infrastructure for any size of business:
- Reduced Cost – Instead of requiring multiple physical servers to run your infrastructure, virtualization will allow you to run many servers on a single physical machine.
- High Availability – Virtualization offers options such as replication allowing an exact copy of a server to exist in multiple locations (not on a single physical server) so that in the event of a hardware failure downtime can be minimized by simply having another device take over.
- Infrastructure Management – This technology allows us, the IT administrators, to make changes to the machine with greater ease. This lessens the amount of downtime that typical IT management may require.
- Recovery – Instead of having to rebuild a server from the ground up, we will have the option to restore the entire server from backup with ease.
- Disaster Recovery – In the event of a natural disaster virtualization give of the option for recovering everything either to the cloud or another branch site, in turn reducing downtime and giving your company the redundancy that is a must for any IT infrastructure.